[access-uk] Re: Accessible MP3 players

  • From: "Ian Macrae" <ian.macrae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 16:27:23 +0100

Hi Angela,

I have a Milestone which has recently been upgraded so that it will play
Daisy books as well as ordinary MP3 files.  This means it's possible to
store and play RNIB talking books on it.  As a player it's very easy to
use both by itself and in conjunction with a computer.  The two main
things people tend not to like about it are its price and relatively
small storage capacity. It comes supplied with only a 128MB SD card
although, of course, it'll take larger ones.  If your enquirer is
interested in carrying large parts of his CD collection around with him,
then the milestone is probably not the answer.  If, on the other hand,
he wants to carry a couple of audio books, then it might do.

The other products you might want to look at which are specifically made
for VI people[ are the Book courier and Book Port.  They both play MP3
files as well as a variety of other formats and can also read texts in
synthetic speech.

Hope this helps.

Ian