[access-uk] Re: Accessible Internet Radio

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 21:55:11 -0000

Many have asked why use an Internet Radio when a PC will do
the same job?

Speaking from what perhaps many will regard as a money
grabbing, commercial point of view, which we at
Techno-Vision Systems Ltd naturally are, I see the biggest
potential market as people, young or old, who quite simply
do not want to get into using a PC, but just want to listen
to broadcasts from their own country.

Heck! In Northampton alone there are an estimated 15,000
Polish people who have moved here in the last couple of
years.

Go to almost any major city in the U.K. and there are sure
to be huge clusters of foreign nationals who also want to
hear radio from their own country.

Now as I see it, what manufacturers of this kind of
equipment need to do, is take a lesson from the GPS system
manufacturers.  Was speech so difficult to add?  Did it help
their sales?  It wasn't difficult, and it did.

And you can now buy a talking in-car GPS for about £100.
Three years ago it cost me almost £900 for one for my wife.

So perhaps it won't be too long before the Internet radio
guys finally catch up!

George.