[access-uk] Re: Accessible Internet Radio

  • From: "Graham Page" <gpage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 19:41:16 -0000

I would rather refer to him as a mad professor than a scientist.

Most organisations have posts such as head of research and development but what exactly is a chief scientist? Biologists physicists and chemists are all scientists and people such as psychologists may also argue they are scientists as they claim to do their stuff from a scientific objective point of view.

The project to design an accessible internet could and hopefully would result in something that would work all over the world providing it speaks or produces other output in the appropriate language.

On this subject, I know RNIB did once seem to like the idea of universal design. Here all devices work to a common standard control interface and information such as station names or responses from a cash point or response from a blood pressure meter are all given in a form that can be read by a device that can convert them into the necessary format. Accessibility is then based on your unit that receives this information, not clever tricks built into each device by the manufacturer. It's an ambitious project I know but discussion of it does seem to be almost none existent. Are people still working along these lines of accessibility?

Regards

Graham
Graham Page
Home Phone: 0207 265 9493