[access-uk] Re: Accessibilty and the iPad: First Impressions | ATMac

  • From: william lomas <lomaswilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 15:14:06 +0000

not really since we are all entitled to a free screenreader to a computer. why should we pay just because we can't see

On 31 Jan 2010, at 14:54, Kevin Lloyd wrote:

It's easy to see why Apple have adopted their approach with VoiceOver when you bear in mind that the company did nothing for accessibility of their services and products up until the last 5 years. The picture was very different back in the mid to early 90's when Microsoft started working with adaptive technology vendors to ensure visually impaired users weren't excluded from using the O/S and from the job market. Perhaps with many years hindsight and riding on the back of another companies R & D then Microsoft may have done more with Narrator. You can surely understand why Microsoft aren't going to put enormous effort into that field now though with such mature offerings as JAWS and Window-Eyes and then the emerging free screen readers pushing them hard. That would be a ridiculous waste of time and money that could be spent elsewhere.

Apple have a very loyal brand following, much like any niche product manufacturer but it's a real exageration to say that there are huge numbers of blind people taking up the Mac as their only computer or even primary computer. Rightly or wrongly, I view the Mac and most Apple products as very well designed and manufactured and marketed even better but, unless you are a a publisher or audio producer, it's more of a luxury toy than a tool.

You won't be joining the "mainstream" by buying a Mac because it has an in built screen reader, you will be joining a niche group of enthusiasts which, if I remember correctly, still makes up only 8 percent of the market. Like it or not, mainstream is the Windows operating system even though you need some very functional adaptive technology to "bolt on".

In the wider scheme of things, how many blind and partially sighted people will use the Mac O/S at work? For those currently not in work, how impressed would most prospective employers be if you were to turn up to a job interview and tell them you'd lost touch a little with MS applications and adaptive technology but you have a beautiful looking bit of Apple kit at home?

I certainly wouldn't recommend any visually impaired person moving over to Apple for the reasons above but could understand if they wanted to buy a Mac as a second, luxury gadget.

Kevin