[access-uk] Re: Access to television

  • From: "Dave Taylor" <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 10:40:07 -0000

Derek

I suspect you have a point about subtitles not being accessible over the
internet, which was a subsequent question you asked rather than the
original, and I suspect that could be an issue that needs raising. With
regard to the other issues, you'll notice if you look that the site is
arranged in the subject areas that Teletext on TV is, so you have headings
for news, sport, etc, with various links underneath. It would be pointless
reproducing the page numbers on the internet, that's not how the internet
works. The page numbers served as a quick way of navigating on old fashioned
TV's butt aren't needed on the internet are they! So, pick the section you
want from the various links and browse away. It actually looks very
accessible.

And to clarify another statement I made yesterday, anything that can be
rendered by a screen reader, which is most things, is available in braille,
obviously not images, but certainly the vast majority of the internet is
available in braille if you have a display. Suppose it depends on your
browser and screen reader really, but with the two leading ones and the two
leading notetakers, access is pretty good if you ask me!

Sorry to be positive about things, but this is one area where I think we can
be relatively positive.

Cheers
Dave