[access-uk] Access Keys on Web Sites

  • From: Léonie Watson <tink@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Access UK" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 20:41:56 +0100

Good evening,

        Please forgive the cross post, but I wanted to reach the widest
audience in the most efficient way.

        I'd like to hear from as many people as possible, with your response
to a very simple question.

        Do you use access keys when they are available on a web site?

        For those of you unfamiliar with Access Keys, they are the keyboard
shortcuts which use the alt key in combination with another key, to take the
focus to a given link on a page. You hear them announced in conjunction wit
the link text. For example, "Home page alt + h". In this example, pressing
the "alt h" key combination would either move you to the home page link, or
activate the home page link, depending on the kind of browser you're using.

        I hope this makes sense. There is quite a debate raging over these
Access Keys, with a great many people speaking out for the way visually
impaired people do or don't use them. I'd very much like to represent the
voice of real people, so please give me something to work with and let me
know your opinions.

        As always, thank you for your help.

Regards,
Tink.