[access-uk] Re: AVG 8.0 Free edition.

  • From: "Chris Hallsworth" <christopherhallsworth71@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 17:49:24 +0100

Hi, I think I deleted your last message, but yes, please try out Avast, and you may find just how accessible and easy to use it is. It's one of those "set it and forget it" programmes, which is unlike that of AVG, where you have to go through some sort of wizard, or at least you did in AVG 7.5 and earlier. I fully understand that Avast requires a visual verification code (captcha) after the 60 day demo period, but apparently (and I didn't do this myself), you can contact Avast support, explain your situation, and they'll give you the code that allows you to use Avast for a bit over a year, something like 14 months, before registration is once again required for the subsequent year, etc. Hope this helps.

--
Chris Hallsworth

Derbyshire, UK

E-mail
christopherhallsworth71@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

MSN
ch9675@xxxxxxxxxxx

Skype
chrishallsworth7266

Website
http://www.chrishallsworth.co.nr

Klango
chrishallsworth

FTP
ftp://chrishallsworth.dyndns.org
----- Original Message ----- From: "Colin Howard" <colin@xxxxxxxxx>
From: "Waqas Hussain" <waqash@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 14:49:25 +0100

Greetings Colin,

I am afraid version 8 is not currently accessible with Jaws but Grisoft are
working on it but I don't expect it to be accessible until autumn. Now,
switching over to a different screen reader sounds more extreme than to
opting for a relatively more Jaws friendly anti virus software (grin) I am
currently using Avast with Jaws 9 on all my machines running XP Pro, Vista
Business and Home Premium respectively without any accessibility issues. Try
the following gem of a website to download Avast:

http://www.jaws-users.com

and you can find Avast listed on the programmes page under the heading Anti
virus software. For information, one can use  "H" and "shift H" to move
between headings on this website. I think David has also put on a tutorial
on how to use Avast with Jaws on the same website. Just a word of caution,
Avast does require a visual verification code (Captcha) for registration
after 60 days of installation. If you don't have any sighted assistance just drop Avast tech support an e-mail explaining this and they will send you the code by e-mail which once registered allows you to use Avast for another 12
months.

HTH - Waqas