[access-uk] ASDA Website

  • From: "A. Hamilton" <ash-hamilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 23:29:20 +0100

Hi
Sent this Thursday 27 June but it diden't make the list.

Hi

Well I think that the new ASDA website is a work in progress as far as
accessibility and/or usability goes.  It looks slightly better than it did
yesterday?

I spent a bit of time this morning buying next week's groceries using both
JAWS 14 and NVDA. IE9.
I chose to shop by using my list of favourites.
Neither JAWS nor NVDA reported the "filter by" option as a combo box or a
drop down list. It just sounds like a plain line of text that says "Please
select". I've come across this sort of thing on Amazon, I hit enter on it
and was offered a list of 2 items directly under this. "When Purchased" and
Department".  These refused to tell either screen reader what they were.
Link? Button?  Decoration?
Anyhoo, I pressed enter on "department".
JAWS Choked and took IE with it! (OK it does that, sometimes. NVDA had a wee
think but manfully carried on.

With both JAWS and NVDA, navigating through the department headings was
easier than I found it yesterday. There are headings at level 3 Which will
let you skip past a section. However, within the sections, each individual
item doesn't have a heading or list item mark up. This vexes me greatly as I
have about 20 items in my fresh fruit and veg section alone.
You can tab through items within these sections but both JAWS  and NVDA Jump
you back to the top of the page instead of taking you to the first item in
the next section. So Arrowing down is the only relyable way of going through
items.

The "Add" button is not reported as a button by either screen reader. But
pressing enter or spacebar on it will actually add the product to your
trolley.
JAWS quite happily takes you back to the top of the whole dam page  so you
have to footle about finding where you were.  NVDA kind of freezes for a few
seconds but leaves you where you were. (brownie points to NVDA here.)

Looking at the contents of your trolley is vexing too as again, items are
not marked up by a heading or list item tag. So no quick checking for us
here.
There is a link labeled as "full view" just under the Trolley heading. It
lets you view all your shopping in a lovely table! The down side of this is
that The Items column reads a collection of nonsense before telling you the
actual product. Think this might be an immage

Booking your delivery slot  is perfectly fine. I chose the link that shows
available 2-hour slots.
Ignore the first table on this page. as neither JAWS nor NVDA would play
nice with this. This is where I got really grumpy until I had a better look
round... (that will teach me?) (smile)
Choose the second table and it works as expected with standard table reading
commands. Use control plus Alt and right arrow to choose the day then
control plus alt and down arrow to choose the time. If it's available, both
screen readers will report a price and say "link"
Hit entre on this. Jaws, again, takes you back to the top of the page. (no
surprise there then). NVDA gives you a fright by saying" "form could not be
completed as errors were found", but your slot is actually booked.

I've not gone through the checkout process yet but fingers crossed I think
it might be OK.

If ASDA was the only supermarket that delivered in my area then I would
probably soldier on. But Tesco and Sainsbury's   are so much less hassle! I
would not recommend this site for a beginner with screen reading software.
It would put them off. For those of us who are a bit more experienced, yes,
sure it's doable but honestly, I can't be annoyed! Slows me down and is
sluggish. It's like going to the store and having them put weights in your
shoes and boxing gloves on your hands! (smile)

Steve, can you still get demo versions of Window-eyes?