[access-uk] AJAX and accessibility

  • From: "Kevin Lloyd" <kevin.lloyd3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 17:23:19 +0100

There was some discussion earlier of AJAX (Asynchronous Javascript and XML) and
it's inaccessibility with screen readers.

Coincidentally, I've just been taking a look at google suggest which I believe
actually uses AJAX.  Basically, google suggest works like predictive text when
in keying your search words in the edit field.  So, for example, I just typed
the letter C and the edit field was prefilled with currency convertor.  I then
added letter A and the field changed to cars.  The predictive nature is based
on your previous google searches and then the most popular search strings as
used by the general population.

You can arrow up and down in the edit field and you'll see similar search terms
to what you've keyed.  Another example, is that I've just keyed the letters d
and o and it prefilled with dogs.  I pressed down arrow to find the field chane
to download.com

No doubt there will be some implementations of AJAX that may cause some
accessibility issues but the google suggest implementation of the technology
looks to be very accessible with JAWS.

You can find google suggest at
http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en

Regards.