[access-uk] ADDING SPEECH TO DAB RADIOS

  • From: "Ian Macrae" <ian.macrae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "UK Radiolist" <uk-radio-listeners@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:04:45 +0100

Hi all, and for once, no apology for  cross-posting as this is a subject
which has come up on both these lists.  Indeed, if anyone feels impelled
to pass this on to the DAB list, feel entirely free.  Anyone should also
feel free about responding to me privately as my aim is to canvas views
as well as stimulate discussion.
I'm in very preliminary discussions with a rep from a DAB manufacturer
about the possibility of producing a DAB radio with speech.  That's to
say, he's asked me the initial question, would a talking radio be a good
idea?  Naturally I've immediately replied that it would very much indeed
be a good thing.  So, following that up, could people think about the
following.

Is there one set currently available from any manufacturer that people
would like to see adapted for speech output?

Which functions would you prioritise as being accessible through speech?
For example, would people prefer to have station identification
available over Radiotext?

How would people feel about potential conflicts between station output
and speech information?

Any other comments, suggestions very much welcome, particularly in the
spirit that they seem up for this.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers now.

Ian