[access-uk] A very useful feature

  • From: chris hallsworth <christopherh40@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 08:19:39 +0000

Hello all.
My friend Gary Price learnt about a very useful feature in Windows Explorer which he has passed onto me. It is called invert selection. Here is how you use it: 1. Open the folder containing the file(s) and folder(s) you wish to move or copy. 2. Create a new folder. Call it whatever you like, even "New Folder" will work for this. 3. Press alt+e to open the edit menu, then press i to activate the invert selection command. 4. On the screen, the files above the new folder are highlighted. Unfortunately for a screen reader this cannot be detected. However you will discover that the cut and copy commands suddenly become available. So go ahead and cut or copy.
5. Open the folder you just created, and paste.
6. Notice now the files above the folder has been copied or moved?
I feel this is much better than selecting one or more files using traditional selection commands, as this can be a time consuming process. This tip should work for all versions of Windows since Windows Explorer was introduced. This should also work in other programs where a Windows Explorer type user interface is implemented.
Hope you find this useful!
Take care.
--

Chris Hallsworth