[access-uk] A matter of some concern!

  • From: Colin Howard <colin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dummy@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 03:14:45 +0100

Greetings,

I received the following message, somewhat of a surprise, but  on which, I
think, a response is definitely called for, so Ibby, let's hear from you
please via the list, not privately to me.

Thanks very much.

To: colin@xxxxxxxxx,
Subject: Secondhand Zone
From: "Paul David" <p.balster@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 00:17:26 +0100

The Secondhand Zone was the subject of an article in the previous
edition of "Viewpoint" from the National Federation for Winter/Spring 2009,
and in the Summer/Autumn edition of said magazine, Peter Wilkins submitted
the following letter in response to that item.

"I refer to the item in the last edition of "Viewpoint",
concerning the SecondHand Zone EMail Service.

"I have been monitoring this group for some time, well before it
was mentioned in "Viewpoint".

I have some concerns about this service. Firstly, I have been
aware that some items are being sold for more than their full sale price.

"I have also come across many mobile phones for sale, including
accessible software, which, although sold for less than the high street
price, are still being sold for more than they can be obtained from mobile
phone companies.

"I have tried to raise this matter on the email group itself, but
have been blocked from doing so. When I sent a personal email to the List
Moderator about this, his attitude was that it was up to people if they
were prepared to pay the asking price.

"There was also an instance when some incorrect information was
given about a Disability Benefit, and again I was not allowed to ask for the
information to be corrected.

"Best Wishes,
Peter Wilkins."

I contacted Peter to check whether or not the information he provided via
Paul David could be circulated on other groups, Peter said he has no problem
with my doing so and provided the following additional material.

Here is some additional information which you may like to know.
I did purchase one bargain from a reputable person, and the
transaction went through without a hitch, and I am happy with the
result.   However, I noticed a set of audio books on sale via the
group, and I still had the original announcement of this series
from RNIB.   The box of books, although being sold by the group
member at what appeared to be a reasonable price, was actually
more than it was originally sold at by the RNIB.   Therefore,
instead of buying the books from the person on the group, I
bought them from the RNIB at the cheaper price.

From Colin Howard, who  lives near Southampton in
Southern England.