[access-uk] Re: A Decent Looking Metal Braille or talking Watch: Is there such a thing?

  • From: Tom Lorimer <tlorimer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 20:08:27 +0100

Hi Mo,

Don't buy the large talking Atomic digital watch from the RNIB, mine arrived today after sending a dud one back 2 weeks ago and it's all plastic and must look horrible. I bought that one because the sample voice was so clear, but in reality it's choppy and I sometimes miss what number it is saying. You've also got to be a body builder to be able to push the buttons hard enough to get it to talk.

Surely these days it's possible to have a human voice announce the time without it saying it like:
The. time. is. 8. 0. 7. p. m.

Tom.

On 05/06/13 05:12 PM, Mobeen Iqbal wrote:
Hi Everyone.

I've been looking on various websites, and have come to the conclusion that i will have to spend over £100 for a braille watch if i don't necessarily want a cheap tacky one. does anyone have any experience buying braille watches? does a decent gents watch exist that won't break the bank? why am i bothered about looks if i can't see? in my view, just because we're blind doesn't mean that manufacturers should compramise on looks. sighted people are going to see them after all, we want to create an impression! before people suggest buying a talking watch, i'm not keen on them. perhaps a decent watch with a mail voice that isn't made out of plastic would do, the modern ones all sound either like the person is constipated, stressed, or overly excited nothing against females here. it wouldn't be so bad if they sounded and looked decent, so i've come to the conclusion that i should try to find a mail talking watch that's preferably metallic so its a little more long lasting, and loud but not too loud. any help greatly appreciated.

many thanks in advance,

Mo.