[access-uk] Re: 2 PCs on an ADSL connection - Advice please!

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 17:17:14 +0100

Hi Jim,

How is your current system connected to ADSL?  That is to say the ADSL
modem part of it.

The ideal is a network card in each PC, with a cable going to a router,
and a network type ADSL modem hooked into the router. =20

If you can run to it, something like the Draytek Vigor 2600 series
routers combine both an ADSL modem and a hardware Firewall, and even a
USB port to which you can add a printer.  Then it doesn't matter which
PC you have switched on.  Either will access the Internet and print.

What I especially like about the Vigors is that if you have a static IP
address, then if needed, they can be configured remotely by someone who
has experience in that area.

If slinging cables round the house is a problem, there's always a
wireless option.

George.

=0AThis Message has been scanned for viruses by McAfee Groupshield.
** vacation ## d