[access-uk] Re: 195. was: Re: First Guide dog

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 12:49:28 +0100

Peter, their do seem to be varied experiences of 195 and therefore mixed
messages about its quality.  It is very hard to pin down what might be
happening here as I know very well that interaction between callers and the
service will play a part.  I dare say that whether its a paid for service
you are using or the free, (to us) to use 195, they are, in both cases
encouraged to get people off the line in a certain amount of time, so some
will be abrupt to the point of rudeness whereas others may handle it more
subtley.

On the point I think someone made about hanging on for verification, well
this happens usually when I call T-Mobile, who, by the way, seem to handle
195 calls quite efficiently.  Obvious solution for me right now then is to
use T-Mobile's offering rather than BT's.

I suppose its worth saying that all phone companies seem to verify your
enquiry through BT which seems to act as a sort of central register of 195
users.

I suppose my antipathy  to Maureen is down to my near pathological distaste
of advertising genrally and its repetitiousness, especially when its jammed
in front of some inportant info you want.  So, although I did listen to
commercial radio offerings for a time, I don't listen at all now.

I did know a telephonist called Maureen but I cannot think she'd have got
her head around starting any sort of successful business.  Given her driving
record and very battered car, I doubt she's alive now.  Well, if she is
still with us, and by some freakish chance she's running the Maureen
business, maybe she uses a chauffeur.

From Ray
I can be contacted off-list at:
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx