[access-uk] Re: 195 Telephone Directory Service on Mobile Networks

  • From: <Clive.Lever@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 10:56:43 +0000

Hi Derek,

In the workplace, it's also a question of time. It is reckoned that a sighted
person can pick up the information on a web page around fifteen times faster
than a blind person using a screenreader, and that's assuming the website is
accessible and not unnecessarily cluttered and unusable. 195 is quicker, and
there are times when time is of the essence.

195 are also good at giving Yellow Pages-style information: the numbers of
three different taxi firms in your area, or: The number of the Music shop on
the High Street in Such-and-such a town, but I can't remember the name. You
could get this off the internet, but it can take a while.

Dave's right. Sighted people can choose to pay for a service like 'Maureen -
she's good with numbers', but they can choose to find the numbers in other ways
more quickly.

Best,
Clive