[access-uk] Re: 195

  • From: chris hallsworth <christopherh40@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 11:32:09 +0000

Hi Clive.
The lady did ask if I was visually impaired. So I told her I was blind and hard of hearing.
So we will see.
Take care.

Chris H
You can contact me in the following ways:
E-mail and Facebook: challsworth2@xxxxxxx
MSN: ch9675@xxxxxxxxxxx
Skype: chrishallsworth7266
Blog: http://chrishallsworth.klangoblogs.net

On 23/11/2010 11:29, Clive.Lever@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Chris,

I think they should be able to send you a copy of the form in print,
accompanied by a copy in braille that you can read, should you need one.
I can see why they just can't fill it in over the phone, as they
probably need proof that you are genuinely V I and therefore eligible to
use the service.  If you should need a copy of the form itself in
alternative formats, don't let them get away with "unfortunately..." If
they say "Bear with me", and go away to ask a team manager, you could
also gently point out to them that the organisation needs to make sure
all of its frontline services know that alternative formats are
available.  This is because there are still some people out there who
assume they can't provide unless they are explicitly told that they can.
That's our equivalent of buying a hearing loop and then not showing the
staff how to use it. Without the knowledge, if it's not working on the
day it's requested, you might as well not have one at all.  You might
think that as this is 195 they are bound to have got this nailed, but it
ain't necessarily so. Disabled Person's Rail card have blundered on one
or two occasions, and you would have thought...

Best,
Clive

Clive Lever
Diversity Advisor
01622 221163 (extension 7000 1163) Room 1.15, Sessions House, County
Hall, Maidstone, ME14 1XQ.
Diversity is a strength and we will value and harness difference for the
benefit of all service users, the individual and KCC.