[absoft-board] Re: Raised music staff

  • From: "dogmom tds.net" <dogmom@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Todd Welbourne <tgwelbou@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 07:29:41 -0500

Todd, I think you should talk with John Gardner of View Plus Technologies
about the capabilities of the Tiger embosser. If it does not now emboss in
different heights, that may be something that View Plus and Tim Osswald's
students can work on together. I wonder if American Printing House for the
Blind has ideas on getting Yeaji here.

Could a volunteer from Morgridge do some research into possible grant
monies for a visiting scholar? I suggest looking into it as a
multi-disciplinary position with the music and engineering schools, and
possibly also computer sciences. John is always looking for more volunteer
programmers to help enhance the software and additional programming input
would help push what we already have into Yeaji's ideas. Fall is a tight
timeline so a fall-back idea would be starting in January, perhaps. We
certainly would prefer such a position starting in the fall.

I know that the school of education requires a certain amount of
volunteering with people with disabilities in order to graduate with a
teaching degree. That may be another source for a volunteer to look for
grant funds.

John Boyer may know of other sources in the blind community that may be
interested in funding such a visiting scholar position.

I just had a really wild thought. There are blind singers in the Mormon
Tabernacle Choir. That organization may be willing to fund something that
would make it easier for their blind members to more easily participate.
READ G GILGEN

read@xxxxxxxxxxxx
 is (or was as I don't know how these things work) a bishop in the local
Mormon church. He has been active in the UW community in enhancing life and
opportunities for people with disabilities. I would start with Read as a
link to see if they may be interested in helping fund a visiting scholar
position. At the very least they may be willing to give some seed money
that would help get a grant.

I know the people on the board of directors do not have the time to search
for a grant but we are more than willing to put on our thinking caps and
maybe have additional ideas for gettig Yeaji here.

--
Marcia