[ABC Officers] Re: Fwd: Forgot to send this sooner

  • From: John Rowland <jack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "abcofficers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <abcofficers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2015 16:44:06 +0000

Sure, I was just starting to work on it.

Do we have a Brewfessor?

________________________________
From: Garrett <dickeg@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:dickeg@xxxxxxxxx>>
Date: Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 8:55 PM
Subject: Forgot to send this sooner
To: Dustin Mitchell
<bmg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:bmg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

I remembered the other day that you asked for a little e-mail describing the
brewery and my job that caused me to move to MA. Sorry I forgot to do this
sooner.

The company is Lord Hobo Brewing Co in Woburn MA. They just opened to the
public this month (on my first day) and tomorrow (7/1) they will be
distributing their beer outside the taproom for the first time. My job is a
cellarman/canning line maintenance tech/packaging tech. I won't be brewing yet,
just helping haul bags of grain and maybe opening a valve or two. I'll
primarily be transferring between tanks, cleaning said tanks, setting up
canning runs, and helping package in both cans and kegs. The brewery uses a
Wild Goose canning line that puts out ~30 cans per minute. We have a 40BBL
brewing system with five 80BBL fermenters and two 80BBL brite tanks. The beers
on tap so far are all "Hoppy Ales" (not quite IPAs despite the listing on
things like BeerAdvocate, Rate Beer, and UnTapped) called Ball and Biscuit,
Steal This Can, Consolation Prize, and Boom Sauce. The latter is a blend of the
other three rather than being a recipe of its own. The plan is to start a sour
program in one portion of the warehouse as well as various non-sour barrel
projects. The main warehouse will be expanded to the extent that it can also be
used for contract brewing after maximizing production for ourselves. Right now,
the brew system, 5 fermenters, and 2 brites take up an insignificant portion of
the main warehouse, so there's a ton of room to expand. The canning line is
also probably going to be switched out for something more robust very quickly.
It's been amazing so far, especially getting in on the ground floor of such a
large production facility and seeing what it takes to start something like this
up.

Next time I'm around Troy, I'll try to swing by with some of their beers for
you and any club members that might want to try them out without traveling all
the way to Boston-area, they don't let me leave without taking a case, so I
have plenty to spare.

-Garrett