[aarontech] Wayfinder Access

  • From: "Valiant8086" <valiant8086@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <aarontech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 17:01:36 -0500

Hi.
Recently it developed That a UK based mobile phone company called Vodafone had
purchased all of Wayfinder's GPS products. This included Wayfinder Access. It
then  announced that it was discontinuing Wayfinder Access.

Wayfinder is a mainstream GPS solution for Symbian devices. Wayfinder Access is
a modified version of Wayfinder that works well with Talks and Mobile Speak,
making it one of only two solutions for Symbian devices that blind people are
able to use well. The other solution is the free Loadstone GPS solution, which
is far inferior to Wayfinder Access, in my opinion. I'll try to get Loadstone
to work again on my n86 and prove it at least to myself. The basic difference
is that Wayfinder Access uses the data network and downloads maps for your
surroundings and from where you are to your destination in real time. this
makes it more efficient to use than the free Loadstone application which relies
on user generated maps that must be downloaded from a website and placed on the
phone, and then only small portions of those maps can be loaded at a single
time.

Wayfinder Access, and probably loadstone, were the only solution(s) available
in some countries, like India.
 This means when copies of Wayfinder Access can no longer be found, users in
certain locations will be without a GPS solution that they can turn to except
perhaps the open source Loadstone. Blind people have been using GPS solutions
for quite a while now to help with traveling. They can use GPS to know if the
bus has stopped at the right place. Also they can use such a tool to perhaps
travel alone as a pedestrian to a destination, be that familiar or not.

there is a petition out there that is aimed primarily at requesting that
Vodafone, the company that now owns the rights to Wayfinder access, formally
release an explanation of what the plans are for Wayfinder Access. One thought
is that Vodafone may implement accessibility into their main GPS solution.
However no one has heard what the plans are and we need to stand up and refuse
to have our freedom of choice jerked from under us. Vodafone which now owns
Wayfinder Access is a large company with obligations to set examples to the
world that users  with limitations are able to use these products too and
should have the right to do so. Vodafone is known to provide Symbian devices
with screen readers installed on them already. Let's try and make sure they
think about us with their GPS software.

For me, this hurts, a company says it's not going to sell me a product, why am
I not important enough to them besides the small market? We go back to my
thought that the company has an obligation to set good examples for the rest of
the world that anyone can  make mainstream products accessible, allowing niche
or minority users to use their products as well.

Apple can do this, Olympus can do it, why can't other companies start doing
this too. Here's a link to the petition. I'd ask that even if readers plan to
not sign this petition please read it and click on the more information link
and read that too.

www.talknav.com/protest