[7inch] :: SEVEN INCH ENTERTAINMENT MAIL-OUT 7.03 ::

  • From: 7inch <7inch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 7inch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 17:02:43 +1000

:: SEVEN INCH ENTERTAINMENT MAIL-OUT 7.03 ::

In this issue:
Decked Out 3.0
Relapse
This weekend out

::: DECKED OUT 3.0 :::

WHEN: Saturday  March 29. 2003. From 21:00 till 05:00
WHERE: The Exchange Hotel - Flinders Street East
HOW MUCH:  $10 (student card = $8)

Prepare yourself  we have a huge night coming up!

This Saturday we once again fire up the decks at the back of the Exchange
Hotel and in the front bar (Portraits) for another extravagant Decked Out
party  number 3 in a hitherto well -visited and wicked series.

The mayhem continues: DAN MARSHALL  the visiting deck and effects wizard
from Cairns  has packed a pile of heavy, deep, sexy and dirty cuts and is
readying himself to go back to back prime-time with birthday boy PAPPAS.
Again, Dan is bringing a whole gang of friends and support down from his
home turf  The Bassment under the Woolshed in Cairns to further charge the
atmosphere.
At the bottom of this mail out is a cut out biography/story on Dan, for
those of you who are not yet familiar with him and his talent.

Kicking off the night is PAKAMAS and NATHAN HILL in another fiery
back-to-back session, as you may have experienced them at Portraits and Pulse.

To top it all off NICK HO will embark on a solo set spanning from his
pulsating tribal tech style with discoid elements into deeper, more
percussive tribal house. Into the melting pot will also go a slew of new
deciBel tracks crafted with THOMAS SCHREIBER in Denmark  Check the deciBel
duo out on WWW.STALL.DK
Thomas and Nick have recently sent out a demo to Australian labels, aiming
at releasing material down under as well as in Europe  well worth the
effort if that brings Thomas to Australia one day for a charging deciBel
live performance or two.
Come April, NICK HO is scooting of to Brisbane for performances during the
Easter week  more details about that will appear in our next newsletter.

VJ for the night is MARC  as on the previous Decked Out events.
Visuals  the light rig will feature a swarm of Martin Robo-colors, moving
heads, and mirror balls galore plus of course the unique 7Inch projections
in sneaky nooks and crannies. Sound - we will be topping up with some
X-array bass units from Wild Gravity (the best stuff there is) and tweaking
it all to perfection with a new snazzy controller system. That should get
the main room truly vibrating!

It would be recommendable to troop up early - Doors open at 9 and Happy
Hour is on immediately at the bar until 11. There will be a pile of free
movie passes from Birch Carroll & Coyle, T-shirts and vouchers from Cre8ive
Sk8, merchandise, vouchers and a dive trip up for grabs from Diving
Dreams  all is given out to early birds - you get the point . . .

If you did not get one already  flyers are in most outlets around the place
including Cairns  Posters are abundantly distributed and all info is
available on the net:
www.7inchentertainment.com/deckedout3.html

Also, be sure to catch the write-up in tomorrows Bulletin  Good Guide.

Recovery: This issue is still a bit up in the air  especially after the
downpour today - we are looking into the matter in order to get you off the
streets in the morning (!) Speaking of rain remember, If the rain is
pouring down - don't worry about arriving soaked - you'll get like that
anyway  and after all it is more fun being soaked indoors with the option
of drying than outdoors with nowhere to hide!

:: RELAPSE ::

Relapse is the weekly 7inch Entertainment alternative to spit roast and wet
T-shirt Sunday sessions otherwise inflicting mortal damage in Townsville
(Not that we mind. . ). :: RELAPSE :: is taking over where our Sundays at
La Bamba left. Staged at the top floor of the Exchange complex these cruisy
afternoons (15:00-21:00) are hosted by Pakamas and Nathan Hill with
rotating visits from the 7Inch DJ roster and beyond. Come and check it out
- board games, magazines and discounted drinks are available as well as
some nice Philippino finger food.
- Any questions - email: admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

:: THIS WEEKS OUT ::

Thursday 27th. March - THE JCU CLUB: 20:30-01:00, DJ PAPPAS.
- 7 Inch Entertainment DJ PAPPAS continues his weekly attempt on crowd
education at The Club. - Expect an eclectic mix of fresh new electronica
mixed with "only the cream" of current chart tracks.

Saturday 29th. March - THE EXCHANGE HOTEL (Flinders Street East)  Back &
front rooms
::: DECKED OUT 3.0 :::  the PAPPAS birthday breaks edition (info above)

Sunday 23rd. March - THE EXCHANGE HOTEL (Flinders Street East) - BALCONY
:: RELAPSE :: from 15:00 - 21:00. DJs NATHAN HILL & PAKAMAS, with a
rotating roster of visiting DJs from the Seven Inch Collective, are
spinning cosy house, trippy down-tempo and leftfield traxx all afternoon to
supplement the soothing effects of Latte, Panadol and then some cold ones. . .

If in doubt - email us on: admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

See you in town

Seven Inch Entertainment
Australasian Electronica Collective
WWW.7INCHENTERTAINMENT.COM

EXCERPT FROM REVIEW OF DAN MARSHALL AT THE BASSMENT, CAIRNS - OCTOBER 2002

With the Bassment, Dan Marshall and the Cairns Clique winning accolades
from the likes of Phil K, Gab Olivier, Ozzie LA, Prince Quick Mix, Nubreed
and a swathe of other less notable yet equally talented visitors, Deep
North built a reputation for excellence in dance music unrivaled outside
the nation's capital cities. Dan's appreciation of the music has always
been the club's strongest point. Shying away from the commercial and the
predictable, it was Dan who introduced the Cairns massive to nu-school
breaks and deep house and built the North's now famous love affair with all
things deep, dark and dirty. Deep North began in 1999 with a weekly Friday
night radio show MCed by visiting DJ Shaun 'Silky" DeBauch with local
talent featuring strongly in the mix. Picked up next by Taste-Y and put
into the clubs on a regular basis, it wasn't long before Dan had every DJ
and punter in town talking about his gift for selecting tunes and unique,
minimalist mixing style. From then, it was only a matter of time before Dan
was playing in clubs and presenting his own parties under the Deep North
banner at My Bar. Moving downstairs from the Woolshed last year, Dan added
to the foundation of the Cuban Club and built the town's first serious
dance venue into a national interest, and the Bassment was born. Attracting
luminary Australian talents on a monthly basis, a hard core following of
Deep North loyalists (the Far Northern Alliance) grew up and partied
side-by-side, week in and week out. The lack of glitz and pretty lights
combined with the thundering sound system and saw to it that anybody who
was there was, by default, there for the music and the dancing. Pretence
took a back seat to the more serious concerns of quality tunes and going
off hard. Saturday night (October 2002) saw a show of clubbing as we in the
north know it. With a mammoth 5 hour set in expectation, Dan opened to an
almost empty club with 'Night' by MIDIval Punditz, a gesture of recognition
and friendship that moved me profoundly and set the tone for what was to be
an emotional evening. As the ethereal sounds of flutes, female Hindi vocals
and logic drum kits filled the room, close friends began to arrive, hugs
were hugged, smiles were smiled, hands were shaken. Nobody bounced in,
everybody seemed to arrive with a quiescent attitude. It would fall to Dan
to lift us tonight. As he played out the first hour, it started to look
like it would be a slow night on the floor. Many of the regular heads
hadn't arrived, and the mood was strange; close and personal, but not like
a normal Deep North night in that people weren't loosing themselves in the
music. Until about 2 AM, everyone stayed lucid, chatty and decidedly social
- an odd look on the floor of a club where there's no room for anything but
the floor. In the space of about 15 minutes, everything changed. The lights
went down a step, darkness ruling a breakdown over a long, echoed accapella
reminding us not to be so stuck on the past, to forget the way we used to
do and look towards the way we need to do it now, and to move forward as a
community. This was Deep North territory - cracking production, expert
mixing with a message. Then the thick, gated kick drum of Dirty Logic
dropped in and the whole place lost it. This was what we'd came for, what
we'd learned, what we expected. Tough, deep and hard tunes, staunch 4/4,
heavy on the bass, right around the 128bpm mark, lights off, lost in it.
Following with a string of tunes that wreaked havoc on the crew the first
time they were dropped, Dan guided us back through nights long gone, a
musical journey of rediscovery, the aural equal of flicking through a photo
album.

He couldn't have picked a better way to wind us up in preparation for the
traditional 3 o'clock blur. Tune after tune met with shouts and screams
from in front of the booth, by now Dan's eyes were closed most of the time,
reaching out to the crowd and feeling the music with them, letting their
mood drive his set, remembering as we remembered. From this web of
interaction came the best use of the effects unit of the night, tweaking
tunes and applying effects off the 600 with the subtle and precise mastery
of a virtuoso. Few people who have seen this kid at work can walk away in
anything less than awe of his talent on the mixer, punters and top DJ's
alike all speak of his skill with respect. Tune of the night goes hands
down to the Inner City Life remix Ozzy LA. left with us. It also marked the
introduction of the breakbeat flavoured part of the night, and it is a
moment I'd list as one of my most memorable in my many years of partying.
People crouching in tiny little balls on
the floor, hugging their knees, rocking slowly, probably in tears, while
right beside them someone else, head down, danced like there'd never be
another party. The moment did not last long, in the blink of an eye -
faster than you could say "who ordered the Mad Skills?" the Bassment was a
frenzy of syncopated motion. 5 am snuck up on everyone a little too fast it
seemed. As the hour ticked over and the lights came on, the manager
shouldered through to the booth and shouted "lock the doors, nobody in,
nobody out, we're going for another half hour!" The cheer raised the roof
and Dan, laughing, proceeded to bash up everyones ears with Take a Walk,
then payed his respects to one of his mates by playing Blue, which led to
another of those memorable moments. The final track, Orbital's Satan, was
hardly a fitting end to the final Deep North, but you've got to end these
things somehow . . .