[56raf_firebirds] Re: OT: 77 Sqn RAAF Patrol

  • From: 56RAF_phoenix <phoenix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 56raf_firebirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 22:14:45 +0100

I thought you reckoned Bloodhound was good, Stickz?
Looks very similar to Colin's bane, SA-6.

56RAF_phoenix

On 20/06/2021 18:16, tim foster (Redacted sender silverwings.stickz for DMARC) wrote:

On 19/06/2021 11:10, 56RAF_phoenix wrote:
I think some late Cold War might suit me, but they need lots of planning, particularly SEAD.

yet we have virtually none available. F-14B qualifies. M-2000 on the basis its in sevice date was just before the wall dropped. The viggen - although not sure game version in-service date post dated that.

Mig21bis, mig-29 and su27 plus the F5E are probably the only late cold war combat planes.

Hind, gazelle, Hip and L39 are (very)late cold war. All else is much later (or too early).

I think the key thing is how realistic are the SAMs and their radars. Do they have that Soviet thing of being semi-active and command controlled by the Fire Control Radar, do they lock-on-jam, does the game model these things? Just chaff and flares doesn't really represent reality (hint to Colin, SA-6 (Kub) should be defeatable by chaff and manoeuvre even without good ECM).

Why soviet semi-active, our bloodhound was same as was the american Hawk system - same era (bloodhound stretching it a bit but I was still working on them on 1991 to deliver to RAF).
HOJ - meh got no range information, missile had to hit the target. Mainly a "looks good in the specs thing".