[ECE 453] Oral Presentation Stuff

  • From: "Logen Watkins" <slapkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 453_all <453_all@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 00:27:19 -0500

So I somehow lost the first draft of this email, which was long and
detailed and expounded upon the different subject areas...but having
lost that, I'm going to make this one short and sweet.

There are 8 areas in section 3.4.1.c of the JuryEval PDF that Wang
sent out that we need to touch on in our oral presentation.  These are
in addition to/alongside the 5 major discussion points that we wrote
short essays on for the final documentation.

I'm thinking the following breakdown

Camera Group:
     Essay Topic -- Lifelong Learning
     Additionals -- Economic, Manufacturability, Sustainability
     Thoughts -- I think all three of these can be related to the
economics of such a system -- the costs of the nodes and related
workforce being potentially much less than the costs of the police
force required to do similar work.  Manufacturability could have rough
costs of each node based on the prices we paid, possibly.

Network Group:
    Essay Topics -- global and societal issues, contemporary issues
    Additionals -- Social, Political, Health and Safety
    Thoughts --- First, political may just be a "skip." I don't
personally know how you're going to relate that one.  If you can, do
so.  Otherwise move on.  Social and H&S (as I discussed w/ Ben) I
think you could combine possibly...I was thinking that people would
probably initially not like the idea, but when shown how such systems
can actually reduce traffic incidents, and how that could ultimately
impact their well-being, their opinions could change.

TMC Group:
    Essay Topics -- Ethical and Security, Environmental,
    Additionals -- Ethical, Environmental (what a nice fit!)
    Thoughts -- For ethical, I'd talk about privacy concerns...but I'd
move away from the "it's been done before, it's legal, get over it"
attitude that the original essay had some of -- try not to trivialize
the concerns, but rather present your views about why it 'should' be
ethical.  For environmental, I'm open to any help, as what I wrote was
complete crap for that (honestly what environmental concerns have we
raised?)

So just remember that somewhere in the course of your group's time,
you need to discuss both your essay topics and your "additionals" --
and please take 2 minutes to skim over the JuryEval PDF that Wang sent
out to get a feel for what they're expecting.

REMINDER:  We're meeting tomorrow, 3rd floor Riggs, at 5 o'clock.  I
know everyone's busy this last week of class, but we really need to
get together and make sure everyone is on track.

Thanks,
Logen

P.S. I'm attaching the JuryEval PDF in case you can't find it or are
lazy like me.