[ECE 453] Fwd: Webserver Questions For You Guys (need a response from everyone)

  • From: "Swati Saxena" <ssaxena@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 453_all@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 10:20:58 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Chris Rodgers <Rodger4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 11:45 PM
Subject: Webserver Questions For You Guys (need a response from everyone)
To: Swati Saxena <ssaxena@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "dcmille@xxxxxxxxxxx" <
dcmille@xxxxxxxxxxx>, jlard@xxxxxxxxxxx, mgarren@xxxxxxxxxxx, "
logenw@xxxxxxxxxxx" <logenw@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello everyone,

I talked with Dr. Brooks about using a computer as a webserver in lab 317.
 Unfortunately, I don't think the computer that Dr. Brooks set me up on will
be dedicated to our use.  He specifically mentioned that other users will
need to use it but that the server, which will actually be a Windows virtual
machine (via VMware), should run even if another user as selected to switch
users.

Regardless... To open up a computer in lab 317 for us access from outside
clemson, Dr. Wang will need to send an e-mail to the NOC (
http://www.clemson.edu/ccit/systems_networks/about.html).

In that e-mail, Dr. Wang will need to state the following information about
those who will accessing it:
MAC (Physical) Address and DNS (check
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to-find-out-what-my-dns-servers-address-is/if
you have questions).

I'll need those two things from you.  I'm hoping that we can open the
computer so anyone can access the webpage, but we'll see what we can get.  I
was told that we should be able to set a static IP to the virtual machine.
 I've messed with VMware a little, but does anyone of you have more in-depth
experience?

Also, in Dr. Wang's e-mail, he will need to state which port numbers we will
need open.  I know that port 22 (SSH), 80 (HTTP/Apache), 3306 (MySQL) will
probably need to be open.  Do you have another other ideas?  Is this
something I need to be asking the other groups?

Do the other groups need access to the server?

Thanks,
Chris