[ECE 453] [Fwd: [453_network] maps of perimeter]

  • From: bgarris@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: 453_all@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 16:44:58 -0400 (EDT)

Here's the maps of the possible camera locations.

See my previous email about precise lightpole locations.

Ben Garrison
Networking Group Lead

Subject: [453_network] maps of perimeter
From:    "Nathaniel Anderson" <anders8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:    Sun, September 7, 2008 4:29 pm
To:      453_network@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Alright, there are two maps of the relevant parts of Perimeter Rd attached.
These maps have o's for lightpoles (which are each labeled with their
utility number) and x's for trees that are in the way for any lightpoles
line of sights. It's a little ghetto, I know, it was hot, and google maps
was not kind to me.

Now, initially I wanted to use the plain map view of Google Maps, because
it's cleaner, but it was wrong. Really, really wrong. So I pulled the
satellite view, and just ignored the terribly labeled and marked street
signs. For a laugh, notice that Champions Ave runs right through the
football stadium. *sigh*. In any case, I made the labels relevant to the
satellite imagery, rather than the street labels. It makes sense as long as
you ignore the labels for most of the streets.

The street signs are labeled pretty much in order, except for a few
aberrations. It might be hard to read some of them (my handwriting isn't
great), so I'll list them here, as well.

In map 1, from what Google maps calls "G St" to champion ave, the labels are
B47-49, and across the street is A12. Next, going down the street, is B50,
and then across the street from that is A1.

Continuing down the street, we have C32-39 lining the street along R3. Along
R2, the labels continue as C40-C46, with this numbering ending at Williamson
Rd.

After Williamson, the numbering starts at G258, and continuing onto map 2,
carries on with G259-G262, passing the entrance to the two commuter lots, we
hit G263 and G264, which for some reason have G160 next in line. Passing
what G-maps calls Hillside St (not the correct name at all..), we have
G265-G271, which ends at the intersection with Cherry Rd.

In terms of analysis, you'll notice that except for A12 and A1, which are in
the Jervey parking lot (but close enough to the street to perhaps be
useful), there are no street lights on the far side of the road. The light
poles at this end of the road (top of map 1) are all pretty much in the
open, very few obstacles are in any of their ways clear past R3. Once we hit
R2, you'll notice it gets crowded (C40 is a maybe, C41 is screwed. clear
through C45). This area is bad for trees, very little could be used from
this area, except for the poles near the intersection with Williamson (C46,
G258). Continuing on with map 2, some of the light poles along the commuter
lots (G259, G260, G261) could be used for one direction (the direction from
Cherry Rd to Littlejohn) of view, but definitely not the other, and the line
of sights here still aren't great. After this, the trees thin out near G263,
G264, and G160, but still aren't perfect, and then G265-G267 are completely
clear. G268 is screwed mostly, G269 and G270 are obscured by some trees
between them (but have good views in the other directions) and then G271 is
pretty much clear to end our little journey.

Let me know if you need anything else with these weaksauce maps.

Nate