[30days_round4] Motivational speech

  • From: Kristofer Bergstrom <kris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 30days_round4@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 06:05:35 -0800

Hello from Chicago!  On Ensemble has returned to the US from a few
days in Montreal and Toronto.  It's been exhausting and fun, and
harder than ever to keep up on practice.  I'm guessing your life has
gotten busy and many of you too are having a hard time keeping up with
your practice.  Here's my attempt at a motivational speech.

You joined the 30 Days to Better Shime program because you wanted to
practice more.  You told yourself you were going to improve in 2011.
You made the wonderfully brave step setting a goal for yourself
regarding your taiko playing.

We're just over two-weeks in.  Your time is being demanded by all
variety of forces in your life.  Some of these are in fact more
important to you than taiko.  But take a moment and ask yourself,
"Have I practiced enough to satisfy my resolution?  Have I made a
significant change to my taiko practice in 2011?  Will I be proud of
this when it's 2012?"  My guess is that your answer is, "Not yet."

We're at the challenging phase of 30 Days, where you have to use every
trick in your organizational book to make time to practice.  You have
to make hard choices between competing desires.

With the 30 Days program, I have tried to cut out as many of the
barriers to practice as possible, providing systematic goals and
due-dates, engaging challenges, and clear feedback, all without the
need for loud drums or a taiko-ready space.  You have everything you
need to make progress.  You've printed the booklet.  You've readied
the recordings.  You've gotten over all of the barriers to starting
down the path.

The last piece of the puzzle is your own ability to make time to do
it.  This is all you need to be a better taiko player.  You've laid
the ground-work and now face the true issue of your improvement.
Tackle this, and you'll have truly made progress.

Kris