[30days_round4] How is it going, everyone?

  • From: Kristofer Bergstrom <kris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 30days_round4@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 21:43:00 -0800

Here we are at Day 3... time flies when you're having fun!  How's it going?

30 Days to Better Shime is about practicing "practice".

I strongly believe that your ability to practice is the key factor in
determining how good a taiko player you will become.  Your ability to
make time for practice, to commit to doing it, and to not let practice
fall behind, will eventually determine how good a player you'll be.
For me, and for the bulk of the 400+ players that have tried 30 Days
to Better Shime, motivation and diligence are our limitations.

Only a small percentage of participants complete the full 30 days of
exercises.  I'm a professional taiko player and it's hard even for me
to practice 30 days in a row.  The most important thing is that you
come to better understand what it is in your life that gets in the way
of your practice.  If you find one of these things, and take action to
improve the situation, you have all-but-guaranteed that you'll be a
better player.

I do all sorts of things... some of them silly, some substantial.  I
put my batchi and practice pad on the table so I can practice during
commercials.  I explain to those around me the challenges of long-term
practice so that they understand what I face and can help encourage
me.  I have implemented a way to track my practice so that I get a
little visual reward for my work.
http://onensemble.org/2009/10/10000-hours-of-taiko/

So as you do the program, pay attention to your feelings about
practice.  When you're not motivated, ask yourself why.  Feel free to
ask me for help and encouragement.  From here on, I'll email about
once a week to check in, and to announce new videos and course
materials as I finish them.

Happy practicing!

Kris