[24hoursupport] Re: windows socket srror: (10048), on API "bind"

  • From: Barry Aronson <baronson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 17:41:45 -0500

At 17:23 8/23/2002 -0500, you wrote:

>hello pc guru`s!
>i`ve got a problem,
>i get this error message repeatedly every time i start windows
>
>windows socket srror: (10048), on API "bind"
>
>can anyone tell me what this means, and maybe point out to url that can tell
>me how to fix it?
>
>thanks soooo much
>
>my pc is a
>compaq presario 5150 AMD K6-2
>350 mhz
>320 MB sdram
>running windows ME
>

>- Users can unsubscribe from this list by sending email to
>24hoursupport-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the
>Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at
>http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1/24hrsupport.htm.

Turbodog!  What you have is probably a "trojan", so you need to fix
it.  Here is some advice:  Go to start>>run>>msconfig
Go to the startup tab
Look through the list.
Do you see: shellapi.exe?

If you do, you have a trojan that is causing your error. It's pretty easy
to clean off, but take a look first.

If you have shellapi.exe in the list:

Go to start>>run>>regedit
Browse to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Softwar\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
Look down the list on the left.
You will see Run and RunServices
Open the Run folder by clicking on it once.
Look on the right.
Find shellapi.exe
Hightlight and delete it.

Now do the same for the RunServices key.
Delete shellapi.exe from it.

Close the registry editor.

Go to start>>shut down>>restart in MSDOS mode.
At the c:\windows prompt type:

cd system
del shellapi.exe

Completely shut down your computer to clear out memory.

Wait 30 seconds and boot back up.

Test. The APIBind error should be gone.

Barry ~ baronson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at