[24hoursupport] Re: what's a hat switch

  • From: 0e60wq102@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 11:50:32 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you. I think I may look instead for something like maybe a five-button
mouse later on. Actually, I'm very partial to old-fashioned ball mice, which
don't come with a lot of options.

--- "chizotz-at-mchsi.com |24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx|"
<hyexhye18u0t@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Not a dumb question. I don't think there is such a thing :)

A hat switch is similar to a joystick in function, but instead of a stick it
consists of a round button-like control (the "hat") that sits on top of a
joystick style switch. Usually, you control the direction the hat switch is
pointing by your thumb. They are often used in flight simulation games, for
example, where the joystick controls the direction of flight and the hat
switch controls aiming of weapons etc. If you don't know what you're looking
at, a hat switch can easily be mistaken for a simple button. Typically,
buttons have a depression in the middle to accomodate a fingertip, while hat
switches are raised to give more leverage and tactile feedback to the
thumb/finger controlling them.

Hope that helps.