[24hoursupport] Re: uninstalling & installing

  • From: "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 30 Sep 2003 14:58:09 -0700

Well, if you're using plug'n'play, a new piece of hardware should be
detected; so uninstall everything; install new hardware; let p'n'p ask
for drivers; provide those. Now, if you're using USB devices, things are
a little different. Each USB device must be installed according to the
manufacturer's instructions--sequence is critical! No plug'n'play?
Uninstall everything; install new hardware; search for new hardware
(control panel); provide drivers.

This is the sequence I always use. With older ISA devices, you will
probably need to play around with IRQs, memory addresses, and DMAs.
Newer PCI bus architecture usually doesn't bother you with these things.

Good luck. -- d

--
Douglas S. Oliver <dsoliver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>