[24hoursupport] Re: something 'writing to HD' problem

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 17:03:20 -0700

Hi Oe6,
that is why I was suggesting safe mode, only Windows critical programs
should be running.

once you are in Safe mode you can go to Start> Run> type in
MSCONFIG  then click enter
It will show you all the programs that are loaded when Windows starts up.
you can selectively disable application.

Be very carefully it is possible to disable Windows.

Here is the text from the Help file in msconfig window;
<text> indicates a hyperlink.

To start System Configuration Utility

System Configuration Utility (Msconfig.exe) automates the routine
troubleshooting steps that Microsoft Technical Support engineers use when
diagnosing issues with the Windows 98 configuration. This tool permits you
to modify the system configuration through a process of elimination with
check boxes, reducing the risk of typing errors previously associated with
Notepad and System Configuration Editor.

System Configuration Utility also can create a backup copy of your system
files before you begin a troubleshooting session. Create backup copies of
your system files to ensure that the modifications made during your
troubleshooting session can be reversed.

<Click here>  to start System Configuration Utility.

Important

Back up your current system configuration files with Msconfig before the
troubleshooting session begins to ensure that changes made during this
session are reversible. To do so, click the General tab, click Create
Backup, and then click OK.
For more information on using System Configuration Utility, click Help in
the System Configuration Utility window.

What's Next?

[ ] <Create a clean environment for troubleshooting>

Here is an excelent site which explains which programs you can shutdown from
" msconfig "

msconfig, is a Win 98 DOS comand, you can start it by going to;
Start> Run, and in the box which opens go to the 'start up' tab.
You can add and remove programs from the Windows startup by removing the
check-marks.
You will need to reboot afterwards to activate your choices.

http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/Uncheck.htm
Many new users are concerned about the low level of system resources
available to them.
Much of the problem can be due to the number of programs which are loaded
and run when the system starts up.

In an effort to clarify what these programs are and whether they are
necessary the following list is provided.
Programs are color-coded to aid in determining whether they are necessary.
Those which must not be removed have their names in red, those which can be
removed without a problem are in green, and those which may or may not be
required are in yellow.

Be sure to back up your registry before making any changes!
Click Start, and select Run, then type in MSCONFIG and click OK.
In the 'General' tag, click 'Create Backup'.

See my Anti-Virus pages
<http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/mikes_virus_page.htm>
A Technical Support Alliance & OWTA Charter Member

******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********

On 8/15/2004 at 4:01 PM 0e60wq102@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi Mike,

I know how to open Norton DDD. But it can't tell me what in particular is
writing continuously to disk, just that something is. That is the question;
how to figure out 'what' is doing this?

I can always do a backup restore from my other HD, but if the problem is
already there too, it won't help.

Oe6

--- "Mike mikebike-at-telus.net |24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx|"
<hig2i2h0ft0t@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi 0e6,
you had memtioned Norton Disk Doctor's Diagnose
so I think if you look in your Start> Programs>
Norton you should find it.

Mike
******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********

On 8/15/2004 at 7:20 AM 0e60wq102@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Thank you. I don't recall where or how to run Diagnostics. I have a general
idea that I need to find some way to show not just what is running, but
what is 'writing to HD' continuously and bogging everything down. I'm
guessing it could be a program that a complimentary feature or function is
not working and so it keeps trying to write but can't, and also can't get
feedback to shut itself down and is 'stuck in a rut'.

--- "Mike mikebike-at-telus.net |24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx|"
<hig2i2h0ft0t@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi 0e60wq102,
try restarting the computer in Safe Mode and running the diagnostics from
there.

Click Start, and then click Shut Down.
Click Restart, click OK, and then press and hold the CTRL key until
the Microsoft Windows Startup Menu appears.
On some computers, you can use F8 instead of CTRL to bring up the
Microsoft Windows Startup Menu.

Enter the number for Safe mode, and then press ENTER.