[24hoursupport] Re: something 'writing to HD' problem

  • From: 0e60wq102@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 16:01:20 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Mike,

I know how to open Norton DDD. But it can't tell me what in particular is
writing continuously to disk, just that something is. That is the question; how
to figure out 'what' is doing this?

I can always do a backup restore from my other HD, but if the problem is
already there too, it won't help.

Oe6

--- "Mike mikebike-at-telus.net |24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx|"
<hig2i2h0ft0t@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi 0e6,
you had memtioned Norton Disk Doctor's Diagnose
so I think if you look in your Start> Programs>
Norton you should find it.

Mike
******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********

On 8/15/2004 at 7:20 AM 0e60wq102@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Thank you. I don't recall where or how to run Diagnostics. I have a general
idea that I need to find some way to show not just what is running, but
what is 'writing to HD' continuously and bogging everything down. I'm
guessing it could be a program that a complimentary feature or function is
not working and so it keeps trying to write but can't, and also can't get
feedback to shut itself down and is 'stuck in a rut'.

--- "Mike mikebike-at-telus.net |24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx|"
<hig2i2h0ft0t@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi 0e60wq102,
try restarting the computer in Safe Mode and running the diagnostics from
there.

Click Start, and then click Shut Down.
Click Restart, click OK, and then press and hold the CTRL key until
the Microsoft Windows Startup Menu appears.
On some computers, you can use F8 instead of CTRL to bring up the
Microsoft Windows Startup Menu.

Enter the number for Safe mode, and then press ENTER.

See my Anti-Virus pages
<http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/mikes_virus_page.htm>
A Technical Support Alliance & OWTA Charter Member