[24hoursupport] Re: something 'writing to HD' problem

  • From: 0e60wq102@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 07:20:27 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you. I don't recall where or how to run Diagnostics. I have a general
idea that I need to find some way to show not just what is running, but what is
'writing to HD' continuously and bogging everything down. I'm guessing it could
be a program that a complimentary feature or function is not working and so it
keeps trying to write but can't, and also can't get feedback to shut itself
down and is 'stuck in a rut'.

--- "Mike mikebike-at-telus.net |24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx|"
<hig2i2h0ft0t@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi 0e60wq102,
try restarting the computer in Safe Mode and running the diagnostics from
there.

Click Start, and then click Shut Down.
Click Restart, click OK, and then press and hold the CTRL key until
the Microsoft Windows Startup Menu appears.
On some computers, you can use F8 instead of CTRL to bring up the
Microsoft Windows Startup Menu.

Enter the number for Safe mode, and then press ENTER.

See my Anti-Virus pages
<http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/mikes_virus_page.htm>
A Technical Support Alliance & OWTA Charter Member

******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********

On 8/14/2004 at 2:10 AM 0e60wq102@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Lately, my OS, Win98, has been running super slow and nothing seems to cure
it or be a cause of it. Then I ran Norton Disk Doctor's Diagnose, and after
a half minute or so, it notified me that 'Windows or some program is
writing to the drive' (apparently continuously), and it can't diagnose
anything until the writing to the HD is stopped. I can open StartCop or
EndItAll2 and get a list of running programs, but can't figure out how to
definitely locate what is doing this and why.