[24hoursupport] Re: something 'writing to HD' problem

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 21:28:27 -0700

Hi 0e60wq102,
try restarting the computer in Safe Mode and running the diagnostics from
there.

Click Start, and then click Shut Down.
Click Restart, click OK, and then press and hold the CTRL key until
the Microsoft Windows Startup Menu appears.
On some computers, you can use F8 instead of CTRL to bring up the
Microsoft Windows Startup Menu.

Enter the number for Safe mode, and then press ENTER.

See my Anti-Virus pages
<http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/mikes_virus_page.htm>
A Technical Support Alliance & OWTA Charter Member

******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********

On 8/14/2004 at 2:10 AM 0e60wq102@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Lately, my OS, Win98, has been running super slow and nothing seems to cure
it or be a cause of it. Then I ran Norton Disk Doctor's Diagnose, and after
a half minute or so, it notified me that 'Windows or some program is
writing to the drive' (apparently continuously), and it can't diagnose
anything until the writing to the HD is stopped. I can open StartCop or
EndItAll2 and get a list of running programs, but can't figure out how to
definitely locate what is doing this and why.