[24hoursupport] Re: reinstalling Sound Blaster?

  • From: yyixi001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 20:05:14 -0600

It's Windows 98 upgrade on a P3 500.

BTW, there are three ram slots, and they have three 128 meg ram chips,
two identical and one taller (I got it like that used as a bare bones).
Is it true I probably should take out the one mismatched ram chip? If
so, does it matter which two slots the other two go into?

When you say a drive formatting tool, do you mean something that
complete wipes the HD, or merely straightens it out somehow? It is a
Western Digital 20 gig at 7400 or 7500 rpm that I got with no paperwork.
I have a nearly identical WD20gig at 5400 rpm or about that, which came
new with a floppy disk called Western Digital 'Data Lifeguard Tools'. Is
that what I need to use?

I only wanted to use the Power Quest Magic Mover, to move a functional
Sound Blaster setup from one drive to another, not my entire Win98 OS.
What about doing that?

BTW, isn't there a software program for more or less safely editing the
register, or is it still a very risky thing to do?

Thank you.

Roland