[24hoursupport] office networking win2k and win98se

  • From: "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 18:10:50 -0700

Hello Everyone. I have a small office with three computers. One of the
three win98se computers was replaced with a used but nice Gateway
running Win2K professional. The three computers are networked via a
wired DSL modem/router. I have shares set up on each of the computers,
but the two remaining win98se computers are unable to access the shares
on the win2K computer. Right now to solve this problem there is a
general share folder that is on a win98 computer to use as a repository.
Originally folks would just place files directly on the computer that is
now the Win2k computer. Now the win98se computers can see the share
folder on the win2K computer but not open it or place files into it.

I've tried to make the win2k folder with everyone access and all
privilages on, but even that doesn't work. Do I need to make a group
that includes the win98 users? And if so, how? TC/IP is handled for all
machines via DHCP, so there's no set ip address for any one computer.
Zone alarm is set up to allow the full 192.168.x.x range, so that's not
blocking it I think. Is Microsoft Active Directory Client Extensions
software needed here? It's only available from a win2k server CD, which
I don't have. I do have the win2K pro disks.

I've been spending too much time in Linux, so my windows skills are
rusty. How might I continue trouble shooting this networking mess I'm
in? Well, not a mess really since everyone can get their work done just
fine; it's more of a puzzle for me.

Thanks,

Douglas

--
** Remove the anti-virus footer, ads, and this line and everything below when
replying **

please see //www.freelists.org/webpage/24hoursupport