[24hoursupport] (no subject)

  • From: "Paul M. King" <peking7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 13:58:50 -0800

Greetings Folks:

My hard disk began acting up after I installed MS SP2 over an OEM WINXP
Home operating system. The installation is on a Dell Dimension 4600.

Now a Dell techie tells me I must uninstall SP2 to find out whether it is
the cause of my grief. I agree that will work for diagnosis, but it also
leads to a lot of hours to reinstall and follow a special Dell procedure to
get the OS to work with the SP2 security patch.

This is true of all Dell units with XP Home shipped before July of 2004.
Each is in conflict with SP2.

Trouble symptoms include flashing of the HD activity light, hearing the
unit arm seeking when normally it is very quiet, and freezing of the screen
which can be fixed only by flipping the power switch off and on to reboot.

I'm not satisfied that there are no other options for me. I was performing
a clean install and partitioning and had only reloaded three or four
applications when the screen first froze. My old configuration is safely
backed up, but not cloned as I only recently acquired Disk Magic.

I'm hoping someone here has had a similar experience with conflict between
OEM disk restoration of WINXP Home and SP2 and can point me in the right
direction.

The repair and restore directions at a Dell website are lengthy and
complex. It would take hours to execute them.

Makes one wonder why a guy who had a stable system running on one partition
ever thought he needed multiple partitions in the first place. :--{

Paul King