[24hoursupport] Re: missing cd players

  • From: 0e60wq102@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 08:47:56 -0700 (PDT)

 I did reinstall Nero.The cd players were working before when it was easycd
creator, but nero wanted that removed to avoid conflict. Now there's no cd
player in My Computer, and no way to use a cd player to correct the problem.
I can make that hard drive slave to another if there's any way to use
anotherhard drive to help fix the problem?
--- "Ron Allen chizotz-at-mchsi.com |24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx|" &l= t;...>
From: "Ron Allen chizotz-at-mchsi.com |24hoursuppor= t@xxxxxxxxxxxxx|" <...>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 03:43:32 -0500
T= o: ........................
Subject: [24hoursupport] Re: missing cd play= ers

First, three definitions and some background: ASPI (pronoun= ced with a long
A followed by
"sappy") is an acronym for "Advanced SCSI = Programming Interface". SCSI
(pronounced "scuzzy") is an acronym for "Sm= all Computer System
Interface". IDE, in context with SCSI, stands for "I= ntegrated Drive
Electronics"; it can also stand for "Integrated Developm= ent
Environment", which describes a software authoring system where thelanguage
and compiler are tied together, along with a code editor andother tools, in
asingle integrated program. Perhaps you already know
s= ome or all of this, but I'm sure many on this list do not... and for
som= e reason I'm in my educator mode this morning :)

Now, ASPI is a "sof= tware layer" -- basically a program similar in many
ways to a driver -- = that sits between certain programs and certain
hardware and lets those p= rograms and hardware "talk" to each other.

SCSI does indeed primaril= y refer to a type of hardware, especially
mass storage devices, that is = relatively uncommon (mainly because of
the higher cost as compared to ID= E devices, which is what most of us
probably have). But the SCSI standar= d refers not just to hardware but
also the software interface. To make a= long story short, you can have
a SCSI software layer to communicate wit= h IDE devices. This especially
applies to CD-ROM drives, I believe becau= se the first CD-ROM drives
were SCSI devices (I may be wrong, or at leas= t making the explanation
too simple, on that point). Anyway...

Yo= u mention Nero. Nero is one software package that uses a SCSI layer
to c= ommunicate with IDE devices. So even though you may not have SCSI
hardwa= re in your system, if you have Nero installed then you do have
ASAPI ins= talled and will see references to a SCIS adapter which is
Nero's way of = connecting to your IDE CD burner.

I would try reinstalling Nero befo= re pulling the machine apart and
replacing cables, which is inconvenient= at best and can be somewhat
expensive if you need to buy new cables. Th= at might solve your
problem. If you have installed Nero's InCD software,= and your ASPI
installations is hosed, that could account for the error = conditions on
the drives. On the other hand, I'd say that you're correct= that a damaged
IDE cable could also be the culprit and if a reinstall o= f Nero doesn't
work then that's the next thing to try.

Hope that = helps.

Ron

0sc> in my other pc, both of my cd= players suddenly appear on
0sc> boot, but not in My Computer in Desk= top. When I try to click on
0sc> Nero, the message says: "The Win-ASP= I file '?.?' can't be found.
0sc> Check for correct Windows ASPI Mana= ger installation of your
0sc> SCSI-Host Adapter Software. Error 16: N= o adapters."

0sc> This pc has no SCSI stuff in in that I know of.= I don't now
0sc> what the ASPI file is all about.

0sc> The= cd players were visible in My Computer before, but then
0sc> I ran a= HD backup in which I had to push the HD out and in
0sc> several time= s past several cables. Could it be a loose or damaged
0sc> cable like= an IDE cable? The fittings all seem tight.

For a web-based memb= ership management utility and information on list
policies, please see http= ://nibec.com/24hoursupport/

with "unsubscribe" (without quotes) in th= e subject.