[24hoursupport] looking to setup a wireless network

  • From: Lene <lpagsugu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 12:05:19 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everyone, I'm interested in creating a wireless network.

Compaq PC:

600Mhz, WinXP Pro, 384RAM, 3 connected USB devices

Dell Laptop:

2.0Ghz, WinXP Home, 256RAM

The products I am interested in purchasing:

Laptop: Netgear MA401 802.11b Wireless PC Card

Access Point: Linksys BEFW11S4 Etherfast Wireless B Acess Point + Cable/DSL
Router w/4 Port 10/100 Switch

Desktop: ?

I haven't decided on a desktop pci card yet b/c i'm getting mixed reviews for
the ones at amazon.  I included the connected usb devices b/c i wasn't sure if
i wanted a USB network adapter or an internal card.  Someone did say that there
won't be slowdown if I have lots of USB devices connected but then I read on
someone's review that it did matter.  Please let me know if it's worth getting
a wireless connection or if i should just stick to cables.  My laptop already
has ethernet card but my PC doesn't.  Thanks!