[24hoursupport] linksys routers and a small network

  • From: Prof <jasmarsh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 12:54:12 -0500

** File was empty **
Hi folks,

I'm helping a friend set up a 2 pc home network, she bought a linksys router
and has cable modem
She's on dhcp. One machine is win 2k the other is winME. The 2k machine gets
it's internal ip just fine, 192.168.1.100. It can get out to the internet fine.
The second one gets it's ip and can ping the router but can't ping the 2k
machine now get to the modem. Both machines are set to obtain everything
automatically. I read the little manual and followed it but must be missing
something somewhere on the second modem.
One thing I was wondering about. The 2k machine was originally connected to the
modem and the isp technician installed the software to communicate with the
modem. Does that same software have to be on the ME machine?
Also if I look at internet connection sharing, it tries to set the ip to
192.168.0.1 and trhe linksys router doesn't like that.

Any ideas, and thanks in advance,
John

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at