[24hoursupport] Re: how do i set up a web site?

  • From: chizotz@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:24:45 +0000

OK, here are the basics.

There are two issues here. First, you must register your domain. Second, you
must get a host.

Registering your domain is where you find out if "www.johndoe.org" or whatever
is available. Someone else may have already registered the domain name you
want. Once you determine a domain name that you both want to own and is
available, you must register the domain name and pay a fee. The fee must be
paid again periodically to maintain your ownership of the domain, I believe
you can pay either yearly or every other year. I think I have a domain fee
payment coming up soon myself.

Once you have registered a domain name, you have to find a hosting company to
host your site. This is the company that provides the server space, server-
side software, and bandwidth necessary to make your new domain available on
the Internet. Typically, hosting companies also provide you with email service
so that you can have a "john@xxxxxxxxxxx" email address.

Many hosting companies offer a way to do everything you need to do all at
once. For example, http://www.bluedomino.com is the hosting company I use for
my hosting of http://www.nibec.com (which I have done almost nothing with, but
the support pages for this email list are there).

I've been pretty happy with my hosting service, but there are many many others
out there. I have the basic plan that costs me right at $10 a month for
hosting. When I did the research myself a couple of years ago, BlueDomino was
the best deal I could find. I don't know if that's still true.

That should get you started :)

Ron