[24hoursupport] Re: history-web bug?

  • From: "Douglas O." <dsoliver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 22:31:11 -0700

I've been using Linux since 1998. I started with RedHat 5, and
have gone through 5.1, 5.2, 6.1, 6.2, 7.2, and now 8.0. Much has
changed in these few years. I currently multi boot to Linux RH 8,
Slackware 8.1, and Windows 98se. RedHat does a very good job of
detecting hardware and with plug-n-play. Although some folks have
been able to work around the winmodem problem, I would recommend
using a hardware modem or pcmcia modem if you can. I use a Zoom
Fax PCI modem.

RedHat 8 works quite well as it comes. You can get it from
Cheapbytes for just a few dollars, or you can pick up a book like
  RedHat Linux 8 the Complete Reference (dvd edition) for under
$50 for a complete distro and good hard copy info. I have only
seen Mandrake not owned it. If you choose to use the GUI like
most people, you'll probably start with Gnome or KDE. All distros
are just about the same once you're there. I just set up an old
Toshiba 105c with Slackware and only around 500mb disk space. I
am not using the GUI options so I can fit on some of the text
based programs I like. I have a Panasonic ToughBook with a 6Gb
hard drive. I dual boot that to win98se and RedHat 8 with full
GUI capabilities. In all cases I am how using the free OpenOffice
1.3, which is mostly compatible with MSOffice. I use it in win98
and Linux.

If you're a gamer, stay away from Linux for now. Hardcore games
are slow in coming to Linux. I do have flight simulators and a
bunch of other programs to run in X (the GUI).

Although you could run Linux on a 386, I would recommend having
at least a PII or an AMD Duron or Athlon of some sort. Current
versions of Linux run with most hardware, though you may have to
play around with some of the settings. Load windows first and
then Linux. You can then use the settings in the windows control
panel to set up difficult hardware in Linux.

Whatever you decide to do, have fun and good luck. -- d