[24hoursupport] Re: history-web bug?

  • From: Fuzzy Logic <fuzzman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: unclerichard <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 01:03:02 -0400 (EDT)

While I'm no lawyer, the GPL says that the kernel is free.  However,
section 1 of the GPL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html)  reads:

> You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and
> you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee.

So, SuSE is quite within their rights to charge for making you a copy.

That said, they DO have mirrors where you can freely download the ISOs for
their distro.

Working with a company where part of my job is working on proprietary
cryptographic code, and the other part is working on an open-sourced Linux
device driver for the same cryptographic device, I have to say that the
line between the two has to be kept very clear, and from that, I wanted to
note that while the Linux kernel IS GPLed, work utilizing it (such as
OpenOffice) is not necessarily.

So, to answer your last question: there is not, and cannot, be a
closed-source version of the Linux kernel as that would violate the GPL.

Fuzzy
Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur.