[24hoursupport] Re: formating harddrive

  • From: "Spider" <spider1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "24hr Help Desk" <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 06:44:51 -0400

Sorry folks, I've found about 4 or 5 messages sitting on Yahoo for a few
days that I did not catch.  I am forwarding them now.  Better late then
never.

From: "John Doe" <JohnDoe4u2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon Apr 29, 2002 11:28am
Subject: Re: [24hrsupporthelpdesk] Re: formating harddrive

Whenever you create a new partition, the new partition has to be
formatted for use.
In the dos prompt type format d:\ /s
Leave the spaces as they are.
You may have to have the boot disk in the floppy and be in the A:> drive
prompt.
Once that's done, move the files you want onto it.
Then do a clean install of the OS.
From what I've heard, it's a total nightmare using the upgrading method.
You should do a full new install of win98.
Or totally reformat the c:\ drive, install win95 then immediately do the
upgrade.
Also check and make sure the d: drive is not an ntfs type. It should be
at least FAT16. For 98, it should be FAT32.