[24hoursupport] Re: error messages on 4.3 gig WD

  • From: 0e60wq102@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 18:14:12 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for asking. I have two 4.3 gig Western Digitals, or WDs that I bought,
both totally blank. I want to reinstall Win98 Upgrade, and start fresh on one
of them, and use the other for backup.

I've also got two 20 gig WDs. Each backs up the other, and contains years of
accumulated stuff. Some is backed up on cd now. When one gets too goofed up, I
can restore it from the other.

For instance, that Kirio Personal Firewall 4 I was so gung-ho about two or
three weeks ago, seems to be what caused my 20 gig WD to run slower and slower,
and finally crash a week ago. I restored it from the other 20 gig, and got back
a fresh OS with ZoneAlarm instead of Kirio4. It backs up okay and runs good. I
don't mess it up as it's for backup restore only.

Then I tried to remove a few really large programs I don't use now, such as
Dragon Naturally Speaking 5, which would not uninstall properly, from the 20
gig WD, to bring its primary partition down below 4 gigs so I could copy it to
the 4.3 gig, and it developed error messages and became uncopyable each time I
tried. I would restore it from the other 20 gig WD and try again, and it kept
making it uncopyable.

So I restored the 20 gig WD again, and it's fine again, and I'm not hung up or
desperate for an OS.

But I'm trying to install Win98 Upgrade to either of the 4.3 gig WDs, and it
installed fine, plus a few basic other programs, and they installed and work
fine. Scandisk found a few errors and fixed them. I also ran the full Scandisk
check, and no errors. Then I went to back up what I had installed so far, by
copying it to the other 4.3 gig, and got those error messages about FAT being
messed up and it can't be backed up to the other 4.3, so it's no good as an OS.
If it's not copyable with the WD maintenance software, it's got to be done over
and done right.

If it is not a defective 4.3 gig HD, it does not solve the FAT problem, but I'm
glad to hear that maybe the HD is okay. If I try to back up the 4.3 after each
extra program is installed, maybe I can pin down when the problem appears if
nothing else.

Any more suggestions, besides throwing money at it, will be sincerely
appreciated.

Oe6

--- "Fuzzy Logic fuzzymo-at-gmail.com |24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx|"
<l0r1i0831k0t@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

A FAT error usually means a corrupted filesystem due to some program
messing it up. I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to do. What
is currently on these disks that you wish to keep/save?

Fuzzy
--
"Men may doubt what you say, but they will believe what you do."
*Lewis Cass {1782-1866 American Politician}