[24hoursupport] error messages on 4.3 gig WD

  • From: 0e60wq102@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 24 Aug 2004 14:28:53 -0000

I got a couple of twin used 4.3 gig Western Digital HDs, and have been having
endless problems putting an OS on them.

After the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools DOS program set up one of the
HDs, I put Win98 Upgrade OS on it.

I installed Win98 Upgrade by copying the cd to a folder on the HD it was to be
installed to, because the cd player would not work on the blank drive. It
seemed to install okay.

Then I added a few more programs. Everything seemed to work okay.

I get major error messages on boot, but it all seems to work okay, and I
thought perhaps the error messages were due to not having the sound card
software installed yet.

But then I tried to copy to the other twin 4.3 gig WD, and got this message;

Fatal error.
Although the partitions were successfully created, formatting of drive 2 failed,
because copying of drive 1 to drive 2 failed,
because copying of partition 1 failed,
because directory Recycled could not be copied,
because directory DC3 could not be copied,
because directory ((double note sign)) could not be copied,
becaue the file
Alltools.zip could not be copied,
because there was a FAT error:
Invalid FAT entry.

A retry of copying the HD resulted in this message;
Partition copy operation failed because WinDrop error (Winindex=4).

Scandisk finds no errors. The Western Digital DOS HD checking program finds no
errors.

Is the 4.3 HD I installed to possibly failing, or what could be the problem?