[24hoursupport] Re: dvd vs cd

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 17:42:07 -0700

Hi Oe6,
Do you have a first name<G>

I use hard drives for backup.
I get used hard drives very cheap from the local shop I support.
Yes I spent a lot of money their over the years.

I install the hard drives and then clone my C drive to it, and remove it for
backup.
I have also added an external USB2 hard drive and backup 3 computers to it.

I recommend the DVDrw over a CDrw then use the money you save to get DVD
burning software.
I think you can get a new DRDRW\CDRW\ multi format for around $120
Most come with burning software bundled with them.

<http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=11487&vpn=GSA-4082B%20&manufactur
e=LG%20Electronics>
LG GSA-4082B 8X4X12 DVD+-R/RW/RAM 24X16X32 CDRW BLACK OEM W/ SW

Price:   $108.39 CAD

OPTODISC DVD-R 4X 4.7GB 25 DISC SPINDLE  OP-DVD-R4X-25 $28.87

I use EZCD\DVD burning program.

A Technical Support Alliance & OWTA Charter Member
This email was sent from an XP SP 2 protected PC
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/sp2preview.mspx

On 08/07/2004 at 10:54 PM 0e60wq102@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I can only spend just so much, and I need some kind of data backup ability.
I found an older Toshiba 2x dvd-burner that only does dvd-r and dvd-rw, and
various types of cd, but because it is older and lower priced at $44, it
comes without any software.

Or I could go instead for a new cd-burner that comes with some Nero
software for about the same price.

Then there's the cost of a dvd vs cd disk, and the cost of disk cases,
against the storage ability of 650 or 700 megs for a cd vs about 4 gigs for
a dvd.

Just looking for suggestions which to pick, or is there a better choice out
there?