[24hoursupport] dpi vs. ppi

  • From: 0e60wq102@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 09:05:06 -0700 (PDT)

A partial answer to my own question of getting a good digital photo result,
seems worth passing on. For brevity, references will be omitted.

For your money's worth, a webcam gives lowest resolution.

A little better is a 35 mm camera, a one-time use camera works well, then
getting the film developed, and then scanning it at high resolution, and
resampling/resizing it down, which gives a smaller and more manageable kilobyte
file size, but maintains sharpness, detail, and clarity.

The best result, is a portrait studio which can take the picture at their lab
and produce a top quality 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" negative, and a notebook paper size
color print for $10 per print, and they can also send it out to have it
professionally scanned, for $10 per photo cd, with resolution 4 to 5 times
better than the 35 mm camera.

Related to all this; people shopping for a smaller LCD screen suitable for use
in a vehicle, who are told it is, say, 600 by 800 resolution, should be aware
that this is sometimes misleadingly advertised in pixels per inch, or ppi. The
trick of it is, it takes three pixels, one each of red, green, and blue, to
make up one screen 'dot'. It may be called a dot, or it may be something else.
But the point is, the true resolution, then, is one-third of 600 x 800, or 200
by 266, which is not so great.

That was why I was so anxious to learn the correlation between a webcam rez
rating, a printer dpi rating, and a webcam pixels per inch rating.

But if you want great prints and superior digital photo results for one print
for a professional project, like I am doing, for equivalent money spent, my
choice is the portrait studio as the best way to go, then next best is a 35 mm
camera and film, together with a scanner, and least advisable would be the
webcam.

That's as much as I've found out, and others may have more options or
clarifications I'm not aware of, but which I would be happy to learn about.
Individual results may vary.

--- "0e60wq102-at-sneakemail.com |24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx|"
<djfai3wmpm0t@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Okay, I think I've got a simplified remake of my last question; what webcam
pixel ppi resolution would be equivalent to 600 dpi in say a scanner or gif pc
image file?

IOW, would a webcam at 600 x 600 ppi, equal 600 dpi? Or what would be the
webcam ppi equivalent of 600 dpi?