[24hoursupport] Re: clock problems

  • From: "Ron Allen" <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 19:14:45 -0600

>I have a gatewat essentails pc, runnimg WIN ME.Lately it has been losing
>time. Usually just by 10 minutes or so, but any take son what could be the
>problem? I readjust the time, but a few days later, it is behind again.

The battery may be running down. Most motherboards have a watch-type=
 battery that powers the clock and also the CMOS memory that holds the BIOS=
 information when the machine is shut down. These batteries are generally=
 of very common types that cab be bought at any department stores jewelry=
 counter, and It usually isn't to hard to change them. You will, however,=
 probably lose your BIOS information, which will have to be reset after the=
 change. You'll also need to reset the clock again :)

Best way to do it is to go into the BIOS setup program and write down all=
 of your settings. Then switch the battery, and restore the settings to the=
 way they were before if necessary.

Since from what you say this isn't an ongoing problem, my bet is that it's=
 the battery.

HTH,

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at