[24hoursupport] Re: audio problem

  • From: "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:41:06 -0800

Thank you so much for your response. I didn't know that EndItAll had a 2
version. I had already turned off RealPlayer etc. in the start section
of MSConfig and checked the running programs to see if anything else
that might want the audio devices was running. Whatever it is, it's
quite stealthy.  I looked in  Start >  Accessories > System Tools >
System Information today and found that there were some problems in
DirectX, probably some other things too, but I was in a hurry. In the
end the decision was made to put in a new drive they had and reinstall
the software. I'll be doing this tomorrow.  I'll probably remain
forever  in the dark as to the true source of the problem. That irks me
as I don't like to walk away from a puzzle.

Other things I would normally have tried are, as you suggested, run
EndItAll and HijackThis to see what options that would have presented. I
also might have pulled out the hard drive and scanned it through my own
machine. (I have a couple of USB hard drive enclosures that are useful
for this.) Anyway, thanks again for your help, and I'll look into some
of those programs I hadn't used before. --Douglas

--
** Remove the anti-virus footer, ads, and this line and everything below when
replying **

please see http://www.freelists.org/webpage/24hoursupport